Volunteering 2012

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

So Long New York Marathon

It has been so long since I have posted anything....eek. Over the past few months I have been fighting my little negative demon, in the hopes that this injury that I have makes me a stronger person. My dream of running in the New York Marathon, are pretty much over, for this year anyway. I will have automatic entry into the race next year. I haven't been able to train for the past few months. I started training just before the Lululemon Half Marathon, and a few weeks before that race I felt something pop in my foot (could not run in the race). I knew that a more serious injury had happened this time, and knew that I should get to a physio stat, to try and get the healing process started.

I went to a physio that was recommended to me, and they are still to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with my foot. First of all, it was thought to be a stress fracture, which I had x-ray's for and they found nothing wrong with it, then it was thought to be muscle and ligament damage to my foot in between the little toe and forth toe, and now it looks like it is Achilles Tendon problem that hasn't healed properly from the last time I injured it. Since each week is a different diagnosis, and they can't really tell me what is wrong with it, I have decided to take a few weeks off physio, and do my own icing, and stretching that they have showed me to see if it makes any difference. Even if I am able to run in New York, I will wait until next year, since I haven't even started training for it yet, and I want to have a fighting chance to finish in a good time.

So since I have been on and off crutches and unable to exercise, the weight has slowly been piling on, it is a long negative and depressing progress, and that goes hand in hand with some other personal niggling problems that have been going on lately, I turn to my trusty food for comfort.

I have to make a change for the positive and start thinking happy thoughts instead of negative self defeating attitude, I will get through this again, and next year I will come back stronger and better then I have ever been. I want to mentally start preparing myself for the athletic challenges that I have set myself up for next year. I will complete my first tri next year, I will complete 2 marathons, and I will be the best version of me that I can be.

So where does that leave me for the rest of this year? Plenty of rest and stretching with gradual increase in exercising, I will start to walk a little further each day - taking into consideration how my foot is feeling, and not over do it, so that I won't make my current injury worse. I will also start to eat better. The first thing is to start Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast, which is a huge learning curve for me. I have never been on a vegan raw diet before, and I can't wait to see what effect that this has on my mood and how I feel in general. I will have a great support network as well with this, the BF will be doing this with me, and I have a friend who has just completed it, and says she feels fantastic. (I know that the results are different for everyone, but I hope I look as half as fantastic as her when I finish it). I look forward to writing about my experiences with it.

So the self pity party ends here. There are people around me that are have more devastating stories then me. Sometimes it is hard to dig myself out of my negative thoughts, but tomorrow is a new day, and it will be better then today......

1 comment:

  1. It is a pity that an injury is chasing for you. My friends of price per head and I hope that you can get back.

    ReplyDelete