Volunteering 2012

Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Australian Christmas

Let me tell you what a typical Australian Christmas is like. It is hot, and sweaty but a lot of fun. When I was younger my family used to have Roast Dinner in the middle of day after a morning of ripping open presents, and sending Christmas Cheer. As we all grew older the Roast dinners slowly disappeared and the traditional Aussie Barbie became our main meal. There was always an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies, and lots of sweets. What I love most about the family time is that it was the one time of year that we all came together in one location, and we gossiped about the year that was. It is harder now, since all my siblings have families and the get togethers are little more sporadic, and it is especially harder for myself and one of my siblings who is residing abroad.

"My Country" a poem by Dorothea Mackeller, epitomizes what I love about my home country. I do miss Australia especially at this time of year. Not being around my immediate family, and joining in on their festivities, is a reality of chasing my dream, of living in a different country.

I do love my adopted country and the people that I have met over the past 2 and a half years.  I hope that next Christmas, I can once again join in the family tradition,  and my bf can experience Christmas Aussie Style!

Tomorrow I will post about my Canadian Christmas experiences, but I first I want to leave you with an Australian Christmas song "Aussie Jingle Bells"

1 comment: